Oh the roller coaster ride we call life. The ups and downs. The twists and turns. How happy and joyful. How sad and depressing. And everything in between….
I feel like I have entered a very interesting time in my life. A time where I am more confident then ever about my place in life, my abilities, my goals, and my dreams. Yet more uncertain then ever of what the best way is to accomplish those things.
Just when you are making some headway life throws you a curve ball. And in no place is the analogy more relevant then our current bathroom remodel project.
This remodel project has been on our minds nearly from the time we bought the house almost 5 years ago. We started this project 5 months ago when we got the urge to rip everything out of the old bathroom. Oh how us guys love to flex our muscles in some righteous demolition. Especially knowing something much better is coming along.
So we completed the demolition in the spring and allowed nearly the whole summer to go by as we were on vacation or enjoying the nice weather outside. Finally as cold weather approached and September loomed large on the horizon we decided to get started on the actual building part of the project.
We bought our supplies and started to put up the basic framing needed to support the room. As amateur builders go we knew just enough to be able to accomplish the task, but slowly, and with much thought and questioning of what more experienced people knew. Things would run smoothly and then we would run into something we didn’t know how to accomplish. We used up a lot of time figuring out the best way to do things. And a lot of time spent running to the store to get parts we didn’t realize we needed.
Next came the plumbing and electrical work. Same deal. Go until you can’t go no more. Then find out from the experts what we needed to do next. Or go to the store to get the things we didn’t realize we needed. All in all, a great way to learn a lot very quickly, but not the best way to spend your evenings and weekends.
But isn’t that how life is, and isn’t that how we grow. Go until we run into something we haven’t encountered before then learn how to beat it?
In thinking about this, I’ve learned some things that I would like to share…
1. Take it a day at a time. Yes, things always seem to take more time then you realize. Especially when you haven’t done exactly that thing before. Enjoy the process. Realize you are building both something valuable and your knowledge for the future.
2. Good things come to those that wait. Our kitchen remodel was the same way. It took months before it was done. Now that it is finished we are enjoying the fruits of our labors. We spend a whole lot more time in our kitchen because it is so much more enjoyable.
3. Problems will arise, yet nearly everything is solvable. Don’t act like something is impossible just because you lack the desire to beat it. People that have come before you have accomplished nearly everything you plan to set out to do in this life. Anything you want to do from raising a child to flying a plane can be learned. Knowledge and experience is everywhere, you just need to look for it.
4. Everything is an opportunity. It may be in disguise but everything that challenges you will make you better. Its a real promise for all your hard work.
5. Life is short, so play hard. Life is way too short to get all caught up and mixed up in the twists and turns of it all. Focus your energies and play hard. Most of us have heard the analogy about how concentrated light makes a powerful laser. You be the same way. Focus yourself and play hard. Life is too short my friend…
How else do you guys handle the twists and turns of life? I would love to hear about it in the comment section below….