We all have had this problem at one time or another. We come home from a long day at work and just can’t seem to relax. Either we are stressed out about something, have too much to do at home, or have way too many thoughts on our mind. Whatever the case, not being able to relax at the end of a day and chill out can have drastically negative effects on our health.
I am guilty of this. My past businesses and jobs didn’t help either. I have worked shift work till pretty late at night. I used to run a business where I called people in the evenings to set up appointments. And I have tended to accept a lot of responsibility at work which keeps me awake with the amount of planning I need to do and what the next day or week will bring.
Eventually you have to say enough and just give it a rest. Here are a few tips of mine to help you relax more at the end of the day…
- Remind yourself that your work isn’t going anywhere, it will be there waiting for you tomorrow just like it was when you left.
- Take off your work clothes immediately after getting home. This will help you feel more comfortable and at ease.
- Take a 5-10 minute time out when you get home and just rest. This will help set the tone for the rest of the evening.
- Drink something. Water is your best choice. Some soothing tea is a great second choice. A cup of wine or other “nightcap” works for some people, but its best to drink in moderation.
- Exercise. For some people exercise helps them take out the frustrations of the day.
- Take your mind off things. Go do something fun. Something different. Go to the park or watch a movie.
- Read a good book. Although this could fit into #6 I personally think that books have there own special way of relaxing people.
- Reconnect with your spouse, friend, or family member. Its good for some people to have a moment of “debriefing” at the end of the day. Sometimes its hard to stop thinking about work until you have talked out the events of the day.
- Plan your dinner ahead of time. This can be HUGE for some people. I know I can feel frustrated when I have to get home and still “figure out” what I am going to do for dinner.
- Finally, just take some time to think about how great it is to be home and how you are about to have a wonderful relaxing evening. Sometimes even just thinking about it will put you right into relaxation mode. 😉
I hope some of these tips work for you. Let me know what tips you have about relaxing after work. I would love to see what has worked for some other people…