Reflecting on your life is an exercise in making your life better. I once read a study that stated, out of all the things people wish they would have done more, they wished they would have done more reflecting on their lives.
That is one of the best ways to live a wonderful life. To take the time to reflect on what has come before us, and how we arrived where we are at.
So why don’t more people do this? Are we really that strapped for time that we can’t spend some of it reflecting on our life and how we can make it better?
This is certainly a worthwhile exercise for all of us. As the holidays approach, I always like to sit down and take the time to reflect on my life. Here are just some of the ways that I do just that:
- Go over some of your journal entries in the past year and beyond. (If you don’t journal, I think you are missing out on a powerful tool to make your life better. Think about starting one today.)
- Pinpoint some of the major events that have happened in the past year. Have they made you a better person? In what ways have they affected you?
- Consider some of the friends you have made, and some of the friends you may have lost. Is this a good thing, a bad thing, or a neutral thing?
- Consider your time spent. Was it more with family and friends, or more with work? Was this a good change?
- Laugh at your mistakes. We all made plenty of mistakes in the past year. Have we laughed at them and moved on? Maybe more importantly, have we learned from them?
- Look at your goal achievement. Have you achieved the goals you set out for yourself in the past year? Have you improved your health or your career?
- Ask where you are at now. Are you in the place you want to be? Granted, there is always more work to do, but did you set realistic expectations of yourself? Once you set them, did you meet them? Knowing where you are at right now will help you in deciding where you want to go in the future.
Reflecting on your life is neither a hard exercise nor a time consuming exercise. It is however, a very important exercise to practice if you want to improve your life. So as the holidays approach set aside some time to really reflect on your life and consider how blessed you really are…
Originally posted 2008-11-24 04:13:25. Republished by Blog Post Promoter